Sunday, October 24, 2010

MY NEW PAINTINGS

I hope my prospective clients enjoyed the tour of my studio to view my newest art work. After arriving at the website, go first to click the button called NEW ART to the left beneath the banner. At this moment in the studio there are full size drawings of a dozen canvas' which will soon be large new paintings. There are also five canvases in which I have completed the underlying coats.

Visitors, (future clients) viewed them this week-end and thought they were finished paintings ready to frame. I explained to them that before the full size drawing I do a small color sketch in either water color, oil, or a special, creamy acrylic especially treated to dry almost as slowly as oil, much in texture like thick whipping cream. These sketches are about the size of a book or smaller, but sometimes are larger. In some cases, I paint large very finished paintings before or after the final piece in mixed media, or watercolor, acrylic, tempera etc.

Then comes the full size art in oil. I used to stretch the canvas on stretcher frames, but now I use large flat wooden sheets, like plywood but with birch or another wood surface. I staple or tack the canvas to the board and the board protects the canvas against my hard and rapid brush strokes, which used to sometimes stretch the canvas in places. Painting faster causes my work to be more spontaneous guided by my more finished under-painting and more accurate, by unleashing the nature of freedom of stroke and placement, which when painted that way, for me at least, the quick strokes are guided more by the mind, the unconscious wherein my muses/angels dwell.

The underlying painting is more finished most of the time than the final art. Over the very detailed, slick and photographic looking under painting, I often slap on paint rapidly with large brushes and the final art is strongly impressionistic.

However, it is little like French Impressionism, but is more like the Italian impressionism of the Macchiaiolie of the Ottocento & Novocento, or the Russian, or Spanish impressionism (I hope, or so people say) but with my own interpretation thereof.



No comments: